How to: Set Up Guest Advertising Correctly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to: Set Up Guest Advertising Correctly

Post by Alex on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am

There is a huge bias in the RP world against forumotion, and a large part of that is because of how many sites simply don't know how to set up their advertising boards correctly.  

Allowing External Links

This is disallowed by default in the security settings of your Admin Panel.  And Forumotion loves to treat their users like children, so occasionally when they do an update, it will reconfigure itself to that default state, so be aware.

To turn on external links, in the Admin Panel go to General > Forum > Security.

There are a lot of options here, so scroll until you see Unauthorize members with less than a week registration to post external links and emails and below it Unauthorize guests to post external links and emails.  For both of these options, choose No.

A bit further down is another option Disable external links to guests in messages.  Choose no for that one too.  It will make sure that once someone's ad is posted, they can see that it works.

Setting Up Your Advertising Forums

Yep, I'm gonna be a bit patronising here and give my advice on how to set up those forums.  This is based on what I've heard other admins complain about the most, and my preferences, of course.

• Name your advertising forum Advertising.  The only exception is Harry Potter sites, which can get away with Floo Network because literally every HP site calls it that.  Otherwise, don't be cute.
  • Likewise, if you're using a first post / link back system, just call them that.  I don't have time to figure out if I'm supposed to be a virgin because this is my first post on your site, or a slut because I'm advertising with you and everyone else.
  • Put your advertising forum at the bottom of your site.  That's where everyone else puts it, and people on advertising sprees automatically scroll down.  If it's not at the bottom of the site, put a link to it in your ad.
  • Don't hide it in the OOC section.  Give it its own category.
  • Don't have fancy rules.  Don't require people to use a form or post your ad on their site.  You're not the Queen.
  • Have manners.  Don't guest post on someone else's site if they can't guest post on yours.  That's basically why this guide is here, because of how many people have done that on my RP recently.

Permissions

I'm kinda surprised that so many forumotion users can figure out how to configure their usergroups but can't do this simple thing.  So, after you've created your Advertising area (or areas, if you have first posts and link backs) hit that little eye symbol and go to your permission masks.

Now, in those little dropdown boxes at the top, where it says presets, set all of them to All.  That's it.  That's all you have to do. You can even log out and check that it worked.

Alex
Admin

View user profile http://panicstation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top